Meet Our Professors: Greg Powell, Management

Posted: April 26, 2019 | Author: Kenzie Lundberg | Read Time: 1 minutes

Greg Powell

Greg Powell didn’t always plan on teaching. While in college, he hoped to obtain a degree in business and move into the consulting world. However, while dabbling in the consulting field, he began teaching night classes and realized his potential.

“Being in a classroom with students, developing a relationship over a 15 week period, that’s a lot more enjoyable than going into an organization and offering service,” said Powell. “Once I came to SUU and found out that I liked teaching significantly more, I never looked back.”

Now as an associate professor of management and chair for the Department of Management, Marketing and Hospitality at Southern Utah University, Powell teaches the following classes:

• BA 2000 Foundations of Business
  • MGMT 3180  Management and Organizations
  • MGMT 4100 Organizational Behavior and Leadership Management
  • MGMT 4250 Advanced Seminar in HRM Management
  • MGMT 4890 Internship

For Powell, building relationships with students is one of the most important aspects of his job.

“Developing a relationship with someone in the classroom is extremely valuable and very satisfying,” said Powell. “Students at the university bring their lives to the table, you’re not starting with a clean slate. My role, I feel, is to begin to add to that. I’m going to learn from them, and they are going to learn from the material that I brought in for the day.”

Powell loves the close community of SUU and despite the fact that the university is growing, there continues to be a spirit of wanting to help each other and students.

“I’ve never thought of going back and doing anything but this.”

Learn more about the Department of Management at SUU.

This article was published more than 5 years ago and might contain outdated information or broken links. As a result, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed.

Tags: School of Business Faculty