CPVA Valedictorian Reflects on Opportunities at SUU

Posted: July 10, 2018 | Author: Southern Utah University | Read Time: 2 minutes

Ashlee Shipp Lieske and her choir classmatesSouthern Utah University’s College of Performing and Visual Arts is proud to announce Ashlee Shipp Lieske as their 2018 Valedictorian. Lieske has dedicated her time to the Department of Music studying voice and choral education, and will earn her degree in Music Education.

Originally from Katy, Texas, Lieske came to Cedar City as a young high school student to audition for the Department of Music and was impressed by the professors. She said, “They were so welcoming and helpful. It felt like I would be comfortable here and would be able to get the assistance I would need to succeed.” 

She has been a member of the Women’s Choir (Luminosa) at SUU as well as the Opus Chamber Choir. She studied voice for 12 years and currently studies under Professor Carol Ann Modesitt. Lieske has performed in many recitals and two operas and was in the chorus in Dido and Aeneas by Henry Purcell and she played the role of “Monica” in The Medium by Gian Carlo Menotti.

Of her time at SUU, Lieske said, “All of my fondest memories revolve around the Music Department. I’ve enjoyed the performances I’ve been in as well as many of the classes I’ve taken. The highlight of my time here is probably Dr. Ipson’s Music History classes.”

Lieske completed her student teaching at Cedar High School and taught elementary school in Thailand. Her plans for the future include working as a substitute teacher in Iron County, working as a teacher abroad for a few years before settling down in the United States, and working as a choir director.

As her parting advice to students attending SUU and those preparing for college life, Lieske offers, “Go to class, don’t procrastinate, and always ask for help.”

The College of Performing and Visual Arts offers their congratulations and best wishes in her future endeavors. We are honored to have such a talented and dedicated student represent the college in the music profession.

This article was published more than 5 years ago and might contain outdated information or broken links. As a result, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed.

Tags: Student Blog Graduation College of Performing and Visual Arts