The College Tour at SUU: Nouman Kante

Posted: November 10, 2021 | Author: Savannah Byers | Read Time: 3 minutes

If you are a Southern Utah University student, chances are you know Nouman Kante. If you don’t know Nouman, get to know him in SUU’s episode of The College Tour where he talks about his experiences at SUU as an international student. The College Tour is a new national TV series that provides a closer look at the heart of college campuses across the country. SUU is the first Utah campus to be featured.

“Filming The College Tour was a reflection for me because I just graduated, and I was the first in my family to graduate from college,” said Nouman. “If someone would have told me seven years ago that I graduated from college, I would have said ‘no.’ I am so happy and grateful with the way my life has turned out, and SUU has been the root of that. I don’t think I’ve made it yet, but I am excited to see what the future holds.”

Nouman’s segment of The College Tour paints a picture of his experience as an international student. Nouman is from Mali in West Africa. He is the first in his family to graduate high school and the first in his community to graduate college. He came to SUU looking for a more diverse university with a strong community.

“I am grateful that I got to come to school here and get an education,” said Nouman. “SUU is a big part of my life. I think that the biggest thing that I’ve learned in my college experience is how to adapt and how to appreciate what is available. For any student out there, get involved. Connect with others, be flexible, and be approachable; you will change your life with that.”

An active individual on campus, Nouman is currently serving his second term as student body president. Nouman has also served as an ambassador in the International Affairs Office, president of the African Union club, an upper-division senator with the SUU Student Association, and an RA for campus housing. He graduated with a bachelor’s degree in business management and a minor in philosophy in spring of 2021. He is currently a graduate student earning his Master’s of Business Administration with an emphasis in leadership.

“Nouman is a caring and focused leader,” said Heather Garcia, assistant director of student involvement and leadership. “When Nouman isn’t advocating for students' needs in meetings, you can always find him roaming the halls of the Student Center with his bright smile and infectious laughter. Nouman is a great leader and it has been a joy to work with him.”

Since The College Tour episode aired, Nouman has kept busy preparing for the 2021-2022 school year. Last year, Nouman and his team focused on being intentionally inclusive of all students. This year, the executive council plans to focus on helping students connect to SUU’s community and find peer-to-peer support.

“I think SUU is a great place and we can continue to make it even better,” said Nouman. “Some of our leadership teams are increasing community spaces where students can meet and enjoy being together. I want that to continue to be a priority moving forward.”

SUU’s episode of The College Tour aired on August 19, 2021 and is available to watch on YouTube, The College Tour website and Amazon Prime. The episode features ten students from different corners of campus, each offering their own story about the university. Learn more about the ten students featured on The College Tour.

Tags: The College Tour School of Business MBA