Student Empowers Others Through Volunteer Work

Posted: January 03, 2017 | Author: Samantha Burfiend | Read Time: 2 minutes

Cheyenne Terry

For Cheyenne Terry, a senior psychology major from Salt Lake City, family growth and helping others has always been her passion.

Recently Cheyenne has used that passion to help a local crisis center in Cedar City. After a suggestion from her advisor, Andrea Donovan, Cheyenne started volunteering with the Canyon Creek Women’s Crisis Center (CCWCC).

The CCWCC helps victims of domestic violence and sexual assault. CCWCC’s mission is to overcome the impact of domestic violence and sexual assault one life at a time.

“It has been great to talk to women who have survived domestic violence,” said Cheyenne. “They have shared so much with me, and I'm grateful for the opportunity I have to help them and empower them in any way I can.”

Many psychology courses have taught Cheyenne personable skills needed to work with the women at CCWCC. Abnormal Psychology, taught by Kevan LeFrance, in particular taught her how to validate someone's experience and empower them, rather than condescend or stigmatize.

Since Cheyenne’s time volunteering, she has been offered a paid internship through SUU’s Michael O. Leavitt Center for Politics & Public Service to further her work in CCWCC in a stable position.

Cheyenne said she recently saw a quote that read: "God didn't add another day to your life because you needed it. He added another day because someone else needs you."

“I want to learn as much as I can from my professors through the classroom along with hands on experiences in order to better the lives of others,” said Cheyenne.

Following graduation in May, Cheyenne’s goals are to work with children as a child and family psychologist in the Salt Lake area. She wants to work with children, because to her, the youngest years of a human's life is the most important in defining he/she will be for the rest of his/her life. Her time working with CCWCC has helped her learn how to use preventative care for families dealing with domestic or physical abuse.

“More than anything I would love to ensure that a kid’s early years are full of love, education and respect,” said Cheyenne. “Working with children and their families directly, I think, is the best way to accomplish this.”

This article was published more than 5 years ago and might contain outdated information or broken links. As a result, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed.

Tags: Student College of Humanities and Social Sciences